Follow us on Twitter.com/ChiSouthlandPR
Check out our NewsRoom on our blog for current news releases.
ORLAND PARK, IL - May 25, 2011 - Simon Property Group, Inc. (NYSE: SPG), the country's largest owner, developer and manager of high quality retail real estate announced today that Orland Square Mall, the largest and most upscale shopping center in Chicago's south suburbs, will be renovated beginning in August.
The mall renovations will include new interior and exterior features and amenities such as additional seating, updated restrooms (including multiple family restrooms), redesigned mall entrances, landscaping, flooring, new handrails, lighting and a new paint scheme. The food court and childrens play area will also undergo a redesign.
Specific projects include:
- Redesign of Food Court main entrance, promoting visibility of vendors' menus to customers and opened up seating arrangements.
- Flooring will be replaced with porcelain tile, and decorative porcelain tile columns will adorn the area.
- Redesign of the four existing mall entrances, including doors, lighting and landscape features.
- Carpeted soft seating areas added throughout the mall for customer comfort and convenience.
- Completely new floor treatments.
- Redesign of the mall's common areas with new finishes, column features and lighting.
- New directional signage throughout the mall for an easy-to-navigate shopping experience.
- New exterior signs and landscaping at all vehicular entranceways.
- New landscaping with islands, trees, lighting and pedestrian paths.
- New children's play area.
- Renovation of current family restrooms, plus new family restrooms and a family lounge.
Orland Square Mall has been a shopping destination for Chicago-area residents for decades, and we appreciate that kind of loyalty, said Ken Brown, Orland Square Mall manager. We want to continue to give customers a fantastic place to shop, browse, dine or meet with other members of the community. This renovation will create a warm, modern feel and allow guests - especially families - to be even more comfortable during their visits with us.
Brown continues, While we intend to focus on improvements that will appeal to all segments of our shopper base, we will place special emphasis on family-friendly amenities, especially since families account for much of the region's population base and growth, and Orland Square Mall is such a popular destination for families to spend time together.
Brown said that additional details about the renovation, including renovation timetable, color renderings and samples of new mall amenities and finish materials, will be announced in the near future. All work performed will be done in such a way as to minimize interference or customer inconvenience during the mall's operating hours. Construction is scheduled to be completed in summer 2012.
This renovation will be attractive to both current and future tenants, said Orland Square Mall leasing representative Michael Zeurcher. We believe this redesign will allow Orland to become an even more popular location for local and national retailers.
"The Village of Orland Park is very pleased with Simon's plans to renovate Orland Square," said Orland Park Mayor Dan McLaughlin. "Orland Square has been the hub of retail development in the village and the south suburbs since it first opened its doors in the mid-1970s. We're looking forward to the mall's continued contribution to the economic, retail and social amenities of the Orland Park community," he added.
The 1.2 million square-foot mall, anchored by Carson Pirie Scott, JC Penney, Macy's and Sears, originally opened in 1976.